Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The "Glory" that Is Not

Why do people glorify the neurosis that is the physique competitor mindset in so many cases, ad nauseam, but so often turn inward and clam up when they figure out what they've been doing to themselves is harmful, unhealthy, and possibly irreversable. Is it shame? Embarrassment? What? Why not speak out against this insanity and help people?

To me, it's more shameful to glorify the martyrdom and suffering (and, let's face it, sheer recklessness and irresponsibility) of absolute calories deprivation, mindless hours of cardio, foggy thinking and mental/emotional impairment, exhaustion, social withdrawal, alienation of loved ones, drug abuse, all on top of a blossoming eating disorder and unhealthy obsession with food. Yet that's what so often gets glorified in the name of support and sisterhood. And even when things aren't as extreme as all that, but the marks of the screwed up relationship to food are there post-competition, people still line up to say, "It's okay. I'm okay! You're okay! As long as we're damaging our wellbeing together, we're okay. It will all be fine when you start your next contest prep."

You know, I love competing. It's been an empowering, fun, challenging, rewarding experience for me. Probably for me what mountain climbing or triathlons are for other people. By choosing the experience from a place of curiousity with an attitude of "why not?" I've grown; mentally, emotionally, and physically. The experience has given back and made me stronger.

In the past when women would come up to me to ask about competing, I know my enthusiasm and excitement would come across to them. But now? Gawd. I have a really tough time recommending this pursuit to anyone who approaches me in person because I'm too fearful for them, especially since these are people that I maybe know casually at best. Usually all I say is don't even attempt to do this without a Coach who knows what the hell he/she is doing. Otherwise, it's too dangerous. Yes, I use the word dangerous. People don't seem to want to talk much after that!

The unhealthy mindset I see all over the place among competitors isn't, unfortunately, the exception. Rather, it seems to be the rule. It's the subculture, and people embrace it and validate themselves through membership within it. Those who exhibit a healthy approach to the lifestyle (NOT the subculture) are the exception.